Tuesday, July 15, 2014

We're Off!

July 15, 2014

Wow - it's hard to believe that the time has come!  Today is the day that I leave Cape Cod and begin making my way halfway around the world....

At 2:00 p.m. I fly from Logan to Dulles, where I meet up with the other 11 teachers in my cohort and our guide - our journey begins!  From Dulles to Frankfort and from Frankfort to Bangalore, where we will be immersed for four days in the culture and history of India.  From there, six pairs of teachers disperse to other parts of the country and what a big country it is!

Cheri and I will be headed to Kottayam in the state of Kerala on the southwest shores of the country.  So far, I have heard it referred to by those "in the know" as being "God's country."  It's a place of beauty and nature, so I am doubly excited - our host teacher, Pyarailal Ramakrishnan, teaches physics at SMV Higher Secondary School. He has already been simply amazing, setting up our hotel when we couldn't find them on the web and planning an agenda that is going to take our breath away.  I'm planning to hold off on sleeping until I return to the States - so much to see, so little time....

It's going to take some time to get there!  We will be arriving in Bangalore sometime around 1:00 a.m. on Thursday morning. They're about 10 hours ahead of Massachusetts, so it will only be about 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday, but a long time nonetheless!

And yes, I have a nervous stomach - I don't know if it's the anti-malarial meds (which I started yesterday on the advice of my travel doctor), or sheer excitement, or a combination of both.





2 comments:

  1. Have an amazing life changing experience Mary, as I will be following you regularly and hope to absorb some good karma! Safe travels.
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to "traveling" with you! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete