Saturday, July 19, 2014

My Essential Question - Educational access and benefits

As one part of the Teachers for a Global Classroom responsibilities, we were asked to pose an essential question for ourselves - one that would focus our attention as we explored the educational system of another country.

It was only fitting that mine would revolve around the disenfranchised.  As the director of the programs at Dennis-Yarmouth Regional High Schools programs for students who are identified as being at risk for leaving school before earning a diploma, making education relevant and attainable to all learners is an "essential" issue I ponder every day of my working life.

My essential question, therefore, is one that won't simply guide me on my trip, but help to guide me professionally and this is it:

"How are children with substantial issues of poverty, familial discord, social ostracism, and/or trauma nurtured within their communities, and how do they access and benefit from existing educational systems?"

Starting on Friday, we will be visiting a variety of schools and classrooms, and attending workshops intended to increase our understanding of the educational systems currently found in India.  I am hoping to use my question as one tool of observation and understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment